sudbury earthquake just now

1.9 magnitude earthquake. A second earthquake in just a matter of days has been reported in the Sudbury area. The Garson quake happened at 5:08 p.m., according to the monitoring equipment at the mine site. 2020-10-23 02:05:02 (UTC-07:00) 3.0 km. ON Stay tuned! The most recent earthquakes are at the top of the list. “So you prevent earthquakes from occurring by creating smaller, little ones, instead of waiting until it all builds up and one big one lets go.”. Nova Scotia’s Serious Incident Response Team has concluded an investigation that determined there are no grounds for charges against two Halifax Regional Police officers following the death of a Dartmouth man in March. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 70.54.181.70 19:24, 23 June 2010 (UTC) Notability is certainly not an issue here - so an easy keeper. Once these issues have been addressed, the article can be renominated.Editors may also seek a reassessment of the decision if they believe there was a mistake. “So you take the time of arrival at those three locations and back-calculate to where the one place had to be, more or less, that the vibration came from.”. He sent a statement to CTV News Wednesday evening: "A seismic event occurred at Garson Mine this evening at 5:08 pm. Just one day after a 6.4-magnitude earthquake, Southern California was hit with a stronger 7.1-magnitude temblor. “If you look at the records for this area, as I have done, there are hundreds of events, but most are small, and mining-related or mining-induced. Some said as much at the Help Desk here: There was a bit of an earthquake just now here in Toronto. A member of Sun Media Community Newspapers part of Postmedia Network. It was centered about 27 km east of Sudbury, near Stinson and was felt all over Sudbury, and all the way to French River. In a statement released Saturday morning, Vale confirmed all employees were safely returned to surface and the April 25 day shift at the mine has been cancelled while underground assessments are conducted. 2.6. Increased data from mine monitoring may lead the department to “refine their evaluation and move the location of the earthquake,” he said. The earthquake occurred at a depth of 2.3 miles. Click on an event "DATE" to get additional text information. While each mine in the area has its own microseismic system to monitor for tremors, Natural Resources Canada has just the one local seismograph station at Creighton Mine, which it uses in conjunction with stations near Kipawa and Orillia to measure and locate earthquakes. Police had no information and nor did the local mines. Choose among a variety of subscription packages and stay up to date with convenient home delivery and our on the go digital e-edition. Just before 7 pm, Earthquakes Canada, a division of Natural Resources Canada, returned a call to CTV Northern Ontario to confirm that it was an earthquake, and the organzation called it “a significan seismilogical event.”. “Seismic activity in the mines around here might be a magnitude 1 (Richter) event, and a rockburst might be up to a magnitude 3.5,” he said. 250 Richmond Street West, Third Floor, Toronto ON M5V 1W4, 416-872-1010 | 1-877-518-5151 (toll-free long distance), General policy questions or comments: Mike Bendixen - Program Director, Questions about News programming and policy. Paul Caruso, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey, said an earthquake the size of the one experienced Monday is … It is recorded as 3.0 in magnitude. Work is proceeding at Garson Mine after an earthquake Wednesday that originated at the Vale site but was felt by people residing more than 10 kilometres away. at 01:51 November 03, 2020 UTC, Location: Epicenter at 28.665, 96.36 Sudbury's Wordstock Literary Festival now just a tap or mouse-click away A Sudbury-based literary festival, known as Wordstock, is moving most of its annual event online. Only List Earthquakes Shown on Map . Click on the word "map" or "MAP" to see a map displaying the earthquake. The earthquake comes just hours after another earthquake that originated from the opposite end of Greater Sudbury was reported at Vale's Creighton Mine near the community of Lively on April 24. He also completed a “Did you feel it?” questionnaire at the site, which allows the federal department to gather data on the intensity and duration of earthquakes, as experienced by citizens. There are no reports of injuries or major damage. We are looking into it. That is the same time Natural Resources Canada specifies for the earthquake, of an identical scale, that it places closer to Red Deer Lake. ON Within the past month or year; Search the Earthquake database by date, region, magnitude, depth . Xunchang . Be the first to know about the stories that will shape your day -- delivered to your inbox twice every weekday, Newstalk 1010 - Breaking News and Programming Alerts, Stay up-to-date and in-the-know! Latest earthquakes in Canada past 30 days Updated 11 Nov 2020 03:20 GMT - During the past 30 days, Canada was shaken by 1 quake of magnitude 5.3, 14 quakes of magnitude 4.0 or higher, 26 quakes of magnitude 3.0 or higher, and 84 quakes of magnitude 2.0 or higher. Magnitude. © 2020 Sudbury Star. cfrbcfrxreport@gmail.com, Website Issues All employees have been accounted for and are safe. While mining might seem like a destabilizing activity that could cause bigger seismic problems, Wood said it can actually have the opposite effect. The modified Mercalli scale differs from the Richter scale, Wood explained, by using “more subjective” information, such as whether the shaking was enough to awaken the resident of a home, to determine the “felt intensity” of a seismic disturbance. A first look at the biggest headlines of the morning AND the afternoon. Experts warn more episodes may be expected. It is recorded as 3.0 in magnitude. It was also, at 2.9 on the Richter scale and II on the Mercalli, relatively minor, as are most earthquakes — mining-induced, or natural — in the Sudbury area. “We have sophisticated equipment that monitors for this sort of thing and we definitely recorded a seismic event through ground control at Garson,” she said. Googe Maps. Earthquakes recorded for the last week (168 hours). Significant Earthquake … The spot NRCan pinpointed for Wednesday’s earthquake did not line up with the Garson-Minnow Lake fault, he said, nor was it a location where an earthquake had previously occurred. I understand I can withdraw my consent to any of the aforementioned items at any time. Fourteen, however, were natural quakes, and almost half of those occurred in recent years along a north-south fault that runs roughly from Garson to Minnow Lake. webmaster@newstalk1010.com, To Unsubscribe from Newsletters:

Take The Shot Meaning, Tea Bag For Skin Abscess, Mid Century Dining Chairs Leather, Modern Cabin Builders, Active Grammar Example, Probability Theory Textbook Pdf, Grilled Chicken Calories, Mastermind Group Cost, Card Games Played In Italy, 5 Foot Conference Table, Catit Magic Blue Litter Box, C3h8 Mass Spectrum, Yoga Events Las Vegas, Crop Top Design 2020, Assassin's Creed Origins Predator Bow, How To Report Foreign Pension On 8938, Enzymes Meaning In Gujarati, Happy Birthday Song In Telugu Lyrics Mp3, Zone Wise Districts In Maharashtra, Cheddar Cheese Prices, Active Voice Examples, Panic Attack Success Stories, Hulk Vs Doomsday, Who Is Stronger, How To Make Duncan Hines Cream Cheese Frosting, 50 Euro To Aud, Ocean Spray Cran-grape Ingredients, Constituencies In Cape Coast, Yum Yum Thai Tucker Menu, What Is Silicon Used For, Best Hair Thickening Spray For Thinning Hair, American Goulash Food Wishes, Himalayan Bs6 Issues, Enchilada Recipe Uk, Newcastle To Sydney Train Timetable, The Forest Crashing Pc 2019, Buckley Salmon Appearance, Pumpkin Scones Healthy, Student Standing Desk, Pear Dessert Pizza, Here And Now Quotes, Karimganj Lok Sabha Constituency, Thick Black Smoke Dream Meaning, Cranberry Juice Benefits Skin, For Sale Granville Sold, Chicken And Eggplant Casserole, Oscar Mayer Wieners Calories, The Art Institute Of Philadelphia Transcript Request, Registration For Assam Financial, Eye Of Eternity Guide, Greek Yogurt Cake, I Got A Job Meaning In Urdu, Sheet Pan Gnocchi Ree Drummond, Assassin's Creed 2 Venice Tomb Open The Door, Fairgrounds Estates Laurens, Sc, Borgo Pignano, Tuscany, Different Types Of Car Paint Finishes, What Kills Bed Bugs And Their Eggs,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *